Monday, July 28, 2014

Wooden Compsand 42" Bodyboard

I've had this one on the back burner for some time. I cut the blank out of EPS and that's pretty much as far as I got, until recently... This build started from copying an old Rheopaipo bodyboard which was coming apart like most bodyboards after some use.

Rails on this board is 50/50. I've kept everything pretty much the same for simplicity and not really knowing how it could be improved. There are some deep dished concave twin channels in the rear.

Was a super quick build. I'd estimate around 25-30hrs.
 
 
 
 
It wasn't all that easy persuading the Wester Red Cedar strips to follow the curve up to the nose. I gave them a soak which made it comply a little easier.
 
 
 
This should be one fast bodyboard. I think I'll have to use some Versa Surfboard Traction for grip. I've used it on previous boards and it works like a charm - fuss free!
 
 
 
 Hand cut abalone with wood burning outline.
 
 
For Abhinav a friend who I owe some thanks and doubles as a belated b'day present. Will be borrowing this off him at some point to test it out.

3 comments:

  1. this is the coolest bodyboard i ever seen!! was the wood glued onto the foam? if it was what was used to glue it? i need one of these in my life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Axel, I used Polyurethane foaming glue to stick the deck onto the foam core. There are a multitude of products that are pretty much the same like Gorilla Glue. Here in Australia I've found Fixit Mate FMP 200 to have the best working time, you don't want the stuff to go off and start to form a skin before you glue the two surfaces. Easier to do a bodyboard not so easy when gluing together a longboard.

      Delete
    2. thank you! This is some truly amazing work, if you ever plan on making another bodyboard to sell hit me up! I'll probably try this but it probably won't look/work as well lol

      Delete